Street Checks in Ontario
A street check is when a police officer asks someone for identifying information (ID) in a particular type of situation.
Starting January 1, 2017, in certain circumstances, police must follow new rules about when and how they can ask someone to identify themselves.
New Rules APPLY if an officer asks you to identify yourself when they are:
- looking into suspicious activities
- gathering intelligence
- investigating general criminal activity in the community
New rules DO NOT APPLY if the officer is:
- talking to a driver during a traffic stop
- arresting or detaining you
- executing a warrant
- investigating a specific crime
For more information visit: Ontario Government - Street Checks