The goal of Safeguard is to reduce the likelihood of a break-in to your home and to increase the overall safety of the community. Safeguard works to achieve this goal through:
- Preventative measures by educating home owners, renters and students about home safety and security tips. Alerting neighbours and the community of break-in's so they can better prepare their homes.
- Staying connected with the victims of these crimes and following up with any new information that may further the investigation.
A few tips to Safeguard your home and property:
- Ensure all windows and doors are locked when leaving.
- Use timers for lights and/or a radio in the home.
- Change your routine occasionally for leaving the house.
- Have someone check on your house periodically when you are away.
- Do not post on social media when you are away from home.
- Keep valuables, including laptops and cell phones out of sight from windows.
- Take photos and keep a record of serial numbers for valuable items.
- Speak with your neighbours on a regular basis.
- Be aware of suspicious person or vehicles in your neighbourhood and if concerned call Kingston Police.
- Consider improving security, lighting, locks, etc. or discuss this with your landlord if renting.
For more information contact our Community Programs Officer Constable Kim Siemonsen via email at KSiemonsen@kpf.ca or phone at 613-549-4660 ext. 6154