Man Threatens Spouse with Knife over Cellphone Dispute
Release Date: February 13, 2018
A 29-year-old local man has been arrested after threatening his spouse with a knife during an altercation over her cellphone on two separate occasions.
On February 11, 2018 at approximately 7:00 p.m. the accused and the victim became involved in an altercation when the victim reached for his pocket, believing he had taken her cellphone. The accused responded by hitting her hands with his fists before grabbing a knife and making jabbing motions at her. When the accused eventually put the knife down he grabbed the victim by the throat before retreating to the basement. A short time later he came back up and head butted the victim, causing injury. He then tried to prevent her from fleeing the residence.
The incident was reported to police the following morning by the victim’s family. Further investigation revealed a similar incident earlier in the month. An argument over the accused taking the victims phone led to a physical altercation where the accused grabbed a knife. The accused then made a death threat while jabbing the knife towards the victim.
On February 12, 2018 at approximately 2:30 p.m. the accused was located at his residence and arrested. He was transported to police headquarters and held to attend a bail hearing the following day.
The accused was charged with three counts of assault, two counts of assault with a weapon, utter threats, and forcible confinement.
Kingston Police want to let victims of domestic violence know that no one has the right to abuse you. Please do not hesitate to reach out to Kingston Police or any of these other valuable support services and resources for victims of sexual or domestic violence in the Kingston area:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660) www.kingstonpolice.ca
- Kingston Interval House http://buff.ly/2lZx0uv
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre – Support Services and Programs http://buff.ly/2lZuHaM
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada http://buff.ly/2mL1FtU
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee) http://buff.ly/2lZm3sM. For men http://kfacc.org/do-you-need-help/for-men/
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834) http://buff.ly/2mKSLN7
- Addiction & Mental Health Services - Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington http://buff.ly/2lZrFDw
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family http://buff.ly/2lZrDLU
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory http://buff.ly/2mKOVDw
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres http://buff.ly/2lZoVWU
- Canadian Centre for Men and Families http://www.menandfamilies.org/