Youth In Policing Initiative
SUMMER 2018 APPLICATION DEADLINE HAS PAST
Kingston Police, with funding made available through the Ministry of Children and Youth Services, is again offering part-time summer employment with the Youth In Policing Initiative (YIPI).
The YIPI program is setup for youth 15-18 years of age who are attending school in the Kingston area. The goal is to give young people an opportunity to develop job skills while enhancing police and community relations.
The summer session takes place in July and August. For 40 hours per week, the participants will work in various sections of the Kingston Police service, support community initiatives and learn valuable life and employment skills. YIPI participants will also have a working relationship with a number of valuable youth-serving organizations in Kingston.
The application deadline is May 18, 2018 at 4:00 p.m. Applications can be accessed by clicking the link below or picked-up at the front desk of police headquarters at 705 Division Street. Completed applications can be submitted at the front desk to the attention of Constable Carolyn Gauthier or to her e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Eligible to work in Canada;
- Between 15 and 18 years of age for the duration of the program;
- Must be a registered full-time student (in a secondary educational program) during the 2017/2018 academic year
- Resident of Kingston Ontario;
- Successfully complete the recruitment/background check process
The Youth in Policing Initiative is designed to engage youth by providing a positive paid work experience, on the job training, and mentorship opportunities. The primary objectives of YIPI are to:
- Provide a safe and positive employment opportunity for youth from diverse backgrounds, who reside in at-risk communities and are reflective of the cultural diversity of the community;
- Enhance relationships and partnerships between police and the communities they serve, by developing a positive working relationship;
- Promote youth participation and exposure to the work environment through diverse, educational and productive work assignments with the police service;
- Promote Kingston Police as an employer of choice.
These initiatives along with www.youthconnect.ca, an informational website, are part of an effort to coordinate program information and access services, for youth across Ontario.