Police Officer - New Recruit Information
This position offers the successful candidate the opportunity of a long and rewarding career in law enforcement with an opportunity for advancement while receiving police training and performing a variety of functions within the Kingston Police organization.
Police Constables perform a variety of functions within the organization.
Some of their responsibilities include:
- responding to assigned calls for service;
- confronting and resolving emergency and non-emergency situations in a manner that protects lives and property;
- maintaining public order and providing assistance;
- enforcing laws, investigating incidents, and, when appropriate, arresting offenders and preparing cases for court;
- preparing and submitting timely and complete verbal and written reports concerning investigations and police service activities;
- actively identifying problems in the community; and
- submitting regular progress reports.
What requirements/qualifications are we looking for?
- a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada;
- at least 18 years of age;
- excellent physical condition;
- be physically and mentally able to perform the duties of the position;
- having regard to his or her own safety and the safety of the public;
- minimum Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma or equivalent;
- possess a valid drivers' licence and a suitable driving record;
- meet the vision standards outlined by the Constable Selection System;
- meet the hearing standards outlined by the Constable Selection System;
- possess valid Standard First Aid and CPR Certificates (Basic Rescuer Level);
- be of good moral character and habits;
- no criminal conviction(s) for which a pardon has not been granted;
- pass a medical examination;
- hold a valid OACP/ATS Certificate of Results;
- Click here for ATS testing dates;
- preference will be given to candidates who have demonstrated continuous learning beyond high school and working within the community
Stage 1: Application Phase
- Résumé and cover letter
- The Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police (OACP) Certificate of Results is required (issued upon successful completion of Applicant Testing)
- Completed Constable Selection Application Form
- Transcript(s) of educational achievements (high school and post-secondary)
- Grade 12 diploma or certification of achievement
- Certificates/letters from community involvement
- Certificates of achievement (if you have them)
- Valid First Aid and CPR certificates required
- Other relevant documents that you wish reviewed
Stage 2: Interview Phase
- Comprehensive review of application and selection of interview candidates
- Confirmation of interviews with candidates
- Request for background information, waivers and disclosure forms
- Primary Interview with panel of experienced officers and Human Resources
- Secondary Interview with panel of senior officers
- If successful through stage 2, the candidate proceeds to stage 3
Stage 3: Background Investigation Stage
- Psychological testing and interview with psychologist
- Extensive and comprehensive background investigation, including but not limited to reference checks, verification of employment history and educational documents, credit history check, home visit, etc.
- In-house fitness test (more details)
- Third-party medical examination
Stage 4: Final Selection Phase
- Final review of applicant’s file (information collected from previous stages of the selection process is reviewed and compared to selection criteria)
- Medical assessment by physician
- Successful completion of any phase of the recruitment process does not guarantee proceeding to the next phase
- If selected and hired, the successful applicant must be willing to attend and complete training at the Ontario Police College at a personal tuition cost of $11,065.
- The Basic Constable Training Course is 12 weeks in duration at the Ontario Police College, Aylmer, Ontario, and must be successfully completed as a condition of employment
For more information please contact Human Resources at 613 549-4660 ext. 2287 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The candidate selection process reflects the dedication of Kingston Police to the principles of equal opportunity.