Professional Standards and Public Complaints
Staff Sergeant Chris Scott
Sergeant Melanie Jefferies
The The Kingston Police Professional Standards unit is a plain-clothes investigative office where a Staff Sergeant and Sergeant work under the guidance of an Inspector to:
- Ensure members of Kingston Police carry out their duties in compliance with the Ontario Police Services Act and the Kingston Police service’s regulations and procedures.
- Investigate and resolve complaints, and assist with performance management.
- Conduct internal investigations as directed by the chief of police, including the review of incidents that require involvement of the OIPRD.
- Coordinate and respond to public complaints made directly to the OIPRD.
- Work directly with the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) https://www.siu.on.ca/en/index.php and conduct investigations under the mandate of the Police Services Act (section 113) Chapter 11 investigations.
- Oversee discipline within the police service as required.
The Professional Standards unit also provides input and training to Kingston Police on professionalism, ethics, and policy changes.
Kingston Police strive to efficiently and effectively respond to calls for service, however should you be unhappy with the service you received and wish to bring your concerns forward you may:
- Attend the Kingston Police Headquarters located at 705 Division Street, Kingston
- Contact our Professional Standards Office, see contact information above.
- Lodge a complaint through the Office of the Independent Police Review Director (OIPRD) http://www.oiprd.on.ca/EN/Complaints/Pages/Complaints.aspx
Learn more about police oversight: http://www.oiprd.on.ca/En/Pages/Home.aspx